Celtic Cross
205 Old Main Street  South Yarmouth, Massachusetts

 


 
St. David's has many facilities available for use by members and the neighboring Community  
 
Facilities
Kimber Chapel
Nelson Hall
Labyrinth
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Amos Baker Mission House


Thanks to the Yarmouth Community Preservation Committee for supporting our renovation of the Amos Baker Mission House with a grant of $340,113.00 and to the St. David's community for providing $110,225.00 through individual donations and grants, and completing the project with over 1,000 hours of in-kind labor. Amos Baker

We did it! We lifted the Mission House and set it back down on a solid foundation. The floors are now level. We have a bona fide septic system, and central heat and air. The walls have insulation, siding, and well sealed windows. Our doorways, hallways, bathroom and entrance ramp are ADA compliant. We can finally serve our community with wheelchair accessibility. 

The Amos Baker Mission House, part of the Bass River Historical District, has been on this site since 1786 when Amos Baker brought his bride Ame Coleman and her house from Nantucket. Ame died within two years, but Amos used the house to help others. A town record from 1840 shows that Baker paid $100 to keep an alms house within his dwelling. Since then, the building has been used as a home for women and their children, and a respite for the homeless, alcoholics and addicts. At times, it housed an antique shop, a consignment shop and eventually a thrift shop. 

The Episcopal Diocese of Massachusetts purchased the Mission House and the land on December 27, 1965. It took four years to build the sanctuary while services continued in the Yarmouth Town Hall basement. On January 12, 1970, Reverend Dutch Nelson had the Mission House dedicated as a drug rehabilitation and detoxification center. AB2It also housed the church offices, religious education and met short-term needs of the homeless. The Thrift Shop shared the school rooms until the parish added a new wing on the church building for childcare and education. Dedicated volunteers continued running the Thrift Shop until September 2017 when the entire building was emptied in preparation for the restoration work. Maria Raber of Brown, Lindquist, Fenuccio and Raber, Architects, and George Davis of George Davis Builders, oversaw the project, which took twenty-one months to complete. 

Income generated by the Thrift Shop goes directly to help the outreach programs for which St. Davids's is noted. We host fourteen recovery meetings weekly. We have an affordable preschool, a monthly Paper Pantry for items not covered by food stamps and a Take Away Meal, offering hot meals packaged for any size family. We provide medical and dental services at the Pantry. The completely revamped, volunteer run Thrift Shop opened on June 19th. 



 























   

Celtic Cross  St. David's Episcopal Church
205 Old Main Street
South Yarmouth, Massachusetts  02664

Church Office: (508) 394-4222       Email: Office@stdavids4222.comcastbiz.net